Introducing a new member of the Lab651 team, Sam Moss!
Sam is a software engineer with vast experience (and life experiences!). We’re excited to have him as part of the team and can’t wait for you to meet him.
Get to know Sam:
1. What is your most used emoji?
I don’t really use emojis, I guess.
2. If you could learn one new personal skill, what would it be?
I really admire skilled piano players. Like a lot of kids I took piano lessons for a few years, then gave it up. I wish I had stuck with that and would love to learn to play now.
3. What’s the most embarrassing fashion trend you used to rock?
I was a full-on punk in high school. Leather jacket, mohawk, combat boots, the whole thing. I wouldn’t say I’m embarrassed by it, but it’s there.
4. If you had to eat one meal everyday for the rest of your life what would it be?
Brown rice, kimchi and some fish. I love it. I already eat it at least once or twice a week and never get tired of it.
5. What is your favorite magical or mythological animal?
I learned a little about the Kappa not too long ago. It is this Japanese creature that lives in rivers and likes cucumbers.
6. What is your favorite time of the day and why?
Early morning before everyone is awake and everything is still quiet. It’s a good time to concentrate.
7. If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would you teach?
For tech related stuff, probably D3.js.
8. What is the last TV show that you binge-watched?
Not being a big TV person, the closest thing to binge watching is an episode of ‘Top of the Lake’ every night for the past few nights.
9. What is your current position at Lab651 and what do you look forward to most about working here?
I’m an applications developer doing Rails (so far) with the Kenmore Brand Site, and it sounds like I’ll be working on the Vitals app in the future. Definitely excited to learn more about AWS and hopefully get some exposure to the IoT and machine learning side of things.
Extra Credit: until recently, my partner and I traveled for a few years and lived in a van that we converted. I don’t have a photo of the van, but this is a video from right when we finished.
I also write and publish fiction and poetry as well as volunteer with a small press called 11:11 press.